thank you, Mr. Einuadi

(Nuvole Bianchi by Ludovico Einaudi)


I have a minor obsession with the classical composer Ludovico Enaudi. If famous Italian pianists came to my state, I would pay a lot of money to see him. He writes brilliance & depth & beauty. Certain albums are study music, other albums help me battle insomnia. Certain songs ("Melodia Africana III", "Divenire", "I Giorni") are songs I put on when I desperately need to be still, when it's a struggle to stop and breathe. Others ("Fly", "Una Mattina") make my imagination come alive. I wonder what did he see when he wrote them? Are there stories, colors, moments that inspired them? I see fantastic things when I listen to them, they transport me to my own Narnia.

My favorite will always be Nuvole Bianchi. It's the first song I ever heard of his, years ago (which prompted me to find his music asap) It was played by a fellow student at my sister's piano recital. The entire room stilled as this kid played his heart and soul in front of us, telling a story in emotion instead of plot. I teared up. Yeah, the queen of not feeling...I can't say exactly why.
There is something deep in these notes that strikes a chord in my own heart. For me, it speaks of hope. The kind that comes after deep darkness. Not hope that resounds with victory but the kind that flickers faintly. The kind that is most precious, a hope you shelter in the valley of the shadow of death. Idk here I go rambling...

All I know is I'm so so so grateful for music. For a language that speaks without words. It makes living beautiful.

Comments

Abi said…
stunning...too bad I can't dance to the capacity his songs deserve.