Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the Name! I'm fixed upon it,
Name of Thy redeeming love.

Hither to Thy love has blessed me;
Thou hast brought me to this place
And I know Thy hand will bring me,
Safely home by Thy good grace.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Bought me with His precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

O that day when freed from sinning,
I shall see Thy lovely face;
Clothed then in blood-washed linen
How I'll sing Thy sovereign grace;
Come my Lord, no longer tarry,
Take my ransomed soul away;
Send Thine angels now to carry
Me to realms of endless day.

i love the words to this hymn. it reminds me of the fact that i am nothing. i wouldn't love God apart from Him giving me the desire too...i wouldn't have chosen Him on my own...i wouldn't even desire holiness, much less pursue it; if not for His grace. what a comfort! in knowing that it's by grace alone i strive for godliness. i need not despair at my great weakness, for it is when i am aware of my own inadequateness that God is glorified. it is then that i am more aware of His strength, and most reliant on His grace to sustain me. it is then that i centre my life on the gospel, the one truth that makes all this possible.
what a most blessed hope is this great and wondrous gospel.

Comments

beth said…
one of my favorite hymns...
joel sczebel said…
tune my heart to sing your praise.

I think I;m out of tune most of the time, and it's only His grace that could make the nasty sounds that come out of my heart into praise. it's a crazy thought
Anonymous said…
great post dams.
: )
Anonymous said…
yeah. one of my favourite hymns too.